Clinton Township MI 48035,48036,48038
Clinton Township stands as the most populous township and the 10th largest municipality in Michigan. In a 2010 US Census Bureau report, there were 96,796 people, 42,036 households, and 25,678 families residing in the township. Spreading about 28.2 square miles with about 11% of is water, in which the Clinton Rivers silently creeps into three branches within its abode.
Many consider Clinton to have one of the most socioeconomic diversity in the country. It comprises of racial ethnicity – 82.08% White, 13.04% African American, 0.28% Native American, 1.79% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, and 0.61% from other people in the world. The township composes of middle-class communities with many upscale and exclusive parts that serve as the home of famous people.
David Zeisberger and his company first discovered Clinton Township on July 22, 1782. They founded the first settlers in the area and, after much exploration, it served as the ideal place for them in which he described in his diary as “founded on this side of the river a fine place to lay out a town on a height … between the river and the height, there are many springs with many separate little brooks that flow into the river and have exceedingly good water.”
During the early wars, the government awarded several sections in the townships to veterans as part of the “In The Territory of Michigan” agreement. Back then, Clinton’s main industry involved lumbering as the state has many wooded forests. Blessed with many varieties of hardwood, they made it into a thriving business for several decades. A good number of sawmills and gristmills littered along the banks of Clinton River. However, this main attraction cleared acres of land and farming surpassed the lumber industry. Most of its settlers shifted to sustainable agriculture which helped the township prosper and further grow its economy.
On its peak, several villages and towns in Clinton Township flourished and people started to migrate and settle in. Villages such as Cady’s Corner, Marcellus, Fredrick was initially known as Moravian Mission, and Quinn was famous during that time. Unfortunately, none of them survived the modern world.
On August 12, 1818, the township was named as Huron Township after the Huron River. But as time goes by, it created confusion among the early settlers and traveling folks with another Huron River located south of Detroit. The Michigan Territorial Legislature decided to rename the township after DeWitt Clinton, a very notable governor of New York (1817 to 1823). He was mainly responsible for building the Erie Canal which makes it easier for migrants to cross borders and settle in Michigan.
Today, Clinton is home to many famous parks, year-round festivities, and its satisfying community services. In 1996, Clinton Township received the title as the most populated township in Michigan and had an average increase of residential homes of 300-400 annually since 19990.